Budget 2021

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin Email this link

The municipal budget is the City’s business plan for the year.

It describes the costs and revenues associated with delivering municipal services and enables residents to build an understanding about how taxes are used to invest in new infrastructure, repair existing assets and provide daily services that significantly impact the quality of life of residents in Greater Sudbury.

Learn more about the municipal budget by watching this short video:

City Council Approves 2021 Municipal Budget

Following deliberations by the Finance and Administration Committee, City Council has approved the 2021 Municipal Budget with significant investments in roads and drainage, water and wastewater, transitional housing, Pioneer Manor, information technology solutions, building renewal and fleet upgrades.

Council approved a budget with a 4.0 per cent tax increase. For a typical home assessed at $230,000, this means approximately $10 more a month than 2020 property taxes.

The 2021 Operating Budget is $641 million and includes costs to perform routine operations, deliver Council’s approved service levels for the operation of the City’s 58 lines of business, and strategies to mitigate the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. Approximately 48 per cent of the operating budget is funded by property taxes.

The $144.1 million capital budget ensures the best investment choices are made by ranking projects based on standard criteria and moving forward with the highest priorities, with 72 per cent spending on roads and water and wastewater infrastructure. The remaining 28 per cent will fund projects in other areas, including leisure services, environmental services, fleet and facilities, paramedic services and police.

The 4.8 per cent water/wastewater user rate increase is in line with the long-term financial plan for the service. Municipal water and wastewater services are fully funded by end users, as mandated by the province, with no impact on property taxes.

Learn more and find highlights of investments in the 'Budget 2021 Update' tab below.

COVID-19 and the Municipal Budget:

The global COVID-19 pandemic has significantly affected our plans and projects for the year. Staff regularly presents to Council and Committee outlining the financial implications associated with the City's COVID-19 response. These reports describe the effects of COVID-19 on our organization, the efforts we're taking to mitigate those effects and how we plan to achieve the outcomes described in Council’s 2019-2027 Strategic Plan.

The municipal budget is the City’s business plan for the year.

It describes the costs and revenues associated with delivering municipal services and enables residents to build an understanding about how taxes are used to invest in new infrastructure, repair existing assets and provide daily services that significantly impact the quality of life of residents in Greater Sudbury.

Learn more about the municipal budget by watching this short video:

City Council Approves 2021 Municipal Budget

Following deliberations by the Finance and Administration Committee, City Council has approved the 2021 Municipal Budget with significant investments in roads and drainage, water and wastewater, transitional housing, Pioneer Manor, information technology solutions, building renewal and fleet upgrades.

Council approved a budget with a 4.0 per cent tax increase. For a typical home assessed at $230,000, this means approximately $10 more a month than 2020 property taxes.

The 2021 Operating Budget is $641 million and includes costs to perform routine operations, deliver Council’s approved service levels for the operation of the City’s 58 lines of business, and strategies to mitigate the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. Approximately 48 per cent of the operating budget is funded by property taxes.

The $144.1 million capital budget ensures the best investment choices are made by ranking projects based on standard criteria and moving forward with the highest priorities, with 72 per cent spending on roads and water and wastewater infrastructure. The remaining 28 per cent will fund projects in other areas, including leisure services, environmental services, fleet and facilities, paramedic services and police.

The 4.8 per cent water/wastewater user rate increase is in line with the long-term financial plan for the service. Municipal water and wastewater services are fully funded by end users, as mandated by the province, with no impact on property taxes.

Learn more and find highlights of investments in the 'Budget 2021 Update' tab below.

COVID-19 and the Municipal Budget:

The global COVID-19 pandemic has significantly affected our plans and projects for the year. Staff regularly presents to Council and Committee outlining the financial implications associated with the City's COVID-19 response. These reports describe the effects of COVID-19 on our organization, the efforts we're taking to mitigate those effects and how we plan to achieve the outcomes described in Council’s 2019-2027 Strategic Plan.